Associate Professor (UdG)
Dr. Jordi Viñas is Associate Professor at the Dpt. of Biology of the University of Girona and member of the Laboratori d’Ictiologia Genètica (LIG). He is primalry interested in Molecular systematics, conservation genetics and population genetic analysis for establishing past and current biogeographic and phylogeographic relationships in the marine realm, particularly for pelagic and commercial relevant fish species. He is also interested in the genetic control of the reproduction in aquaculture species. He has published more than 45 peer reviewer SCI papers. He is currently the coordinator of the Small Tuna Research Program which involves about thirteen different institutions from Europe and Africa. He is also co-leading the projects "Analysis of the genomic variability and condition in the sardine populations of the Mediterranean. Implications for fishery management (ConSarVar) funded by the Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities, Spain; and the “Detection of parasites in the Catalan fishery sardine. Impact on health and condition”, funded by the FEMP (Fons Europeu Marítim i de la Pesca of the Generalitat de Catalunya). Finally, he is involved on the Editorial Board of two well recognized journals of Fisheries and Marine: Fisheries Research and Scientia Marina.
- Ollé J, Macías D, Saber S, José Gómez-Vives M, Pérez-Bielsa N, VIÑAS J. (2019) Genetic analysis reveals the presence of frigate tuna (Auxis thazard) in the bullet tuna (Auxis rochei) fishery of the Iberian Peninsula. Bull Mar Sci. 95(2): 317-325.
- Araguas RM, Sanz N, VIÑAS J, Vidal O. (2018) MC1R polymorphism associated with plumage color variations in Coturnix chinensis. Animal Genetics. 49(5): 475-477.
- Mechaly AS, Tovar Bohórquez MO, Mechaly AE, Suku E, Pérez MR, Giorgetti A, Ortí G, VIÑAS J, Somoza GM (2018) Evidence of Alternative Splicing as a Regulatory Mechanism for Kissr2 in Pejerrey Fish. Frontiers in Endocrinology. 9(604).
- A. Gordoa, N. Sanz, J. VIÑAS (2017) Tuna Species Substitution in the Spanish Commercial Chain: A Knock-On Effect. PLOS ONE 12(1): e0170809.
- Peñarrubia L, Araguas R-M, Vidal O, Pla C, VIÑAS J, Sanz N (2017) Genetic characterization of the Asian clam species complex (Corbicula) invasion in the Iberian Peninsula. Hydrobiologia. 784(1): 349-365.
- L. Peñarrubia, C. Alcaraz, N. Sanz, C. Pla, O. Vidal and J. VIÑAS (2016) Validated methodology for quantification infestation levels of dreissenid in environmental DNA (eDNA) samples. Sci Rep. 6: 39067.
- L Peñarrubia, O. Vidal, J. VIÑAS, C. Pla, N. Sanz (2016) Genetic characterization of the invasive zebra mussel (Dreissena polymorpha) in the Iberian Peninsula. Hydrobiology, 779: 227-242.
- A. Gordoa, N. Sanz, J. VIÑAS (2015) Individual Spawning Duration of Captive Atlantic Bluefin Tuna (Thunnus thynnus) Revealed by Mitochondrial DNA Analysis of Eggs. PLoS ONE 10 (8): e0136733.
- Brad L. Smith, C. Lu, B. García-Cortés, J. VIÑAS, S. Yeh, J. R. Alvarado Bremer (2015) Multilocus Bayesian Estimates of Intra-Oceanic Differentiation, Connectivity, and Admixture in Atlantic Swordfish (Xiphias gladius L.). Plos One. PLoS ONE 10(6): e0127979.
- N. Sanz, R. M. Araguas, O. Vidal, J. VIÑAS (2015) Glacial refuge for three-spined stickleback in the Iberian Peninsula - review of the mitochondrial DNA phylogeography. Freshwater biology. 60, 1794-1809.
- H. Allaya, A. Ben Faleh, A. Hattour, M. Trabelsi, J. VIÑAS (2015) Disparate past demographic histories of three small Scombridae species in Tunisian waters. Hydrobiology 758(1): 19-30.
- L Peñarrubia, N. Sanz, C. Pla, O. Vidal, J. VIÑAS (2015) Using Massive Parallel Sequencing for the Development, Validation, and Application of Population Genetics Markers in the Invasive Bivalve Zebra Mussel (Dreissena polymorpha). PLoS ONE 10(3): e0120732.
- L Peñarrubia, R. M. Araguas, C. Pla, N. Sanz, J. VIÑAS, O. Vidal (2015) Identification of 246 microsatellites in the Asiatic clam (Corbicula fluminea). Conservation Genetic Resources. 7 (2), 393-395.