Paula López-Sendino is a graduate in Biology by the University of Barcelona, and works as a technician at the ICM-CSIC since 2008. She is actually involved in Marine Citizen Science program (www.observadoresdelmar.es) and MPA-Engage Project. Prior to these, she has mainly worked in laboratory duties related to microsatellites of Corallium rubrum, Paramuricea clavata and Astroides callycularis. She has also been involved in thermotolerance experiments of several benthic species, and DNA/RNA extraction of P.clavata for Genome and Microbiome analysis. Furthemore, she uses Photogrammetry to calculate size structure of red coral populations from Scandola or Medes Marine Reserve, and performs scuba diving field work.
She had also previously studied the symbionts of several Mediterranean sponges with molecular techniques (PCR, clonning, TRFLP’S, Card-FISH...) and confocal microscopy. Prior to this, she had participated in the long-term biological monitoring at the Medes Islands, Montgrí and Baix Ter Natural Park, Cap de Creus Natural Park and Port-Cros National Park (France) for the Ecology Department at the UB. She had also earlier on worked at the Center for Advanced Studies in Blanes CEAB-CSIC on the invasive seaweeds monitoring programme along the Catalan coast and Cabrera National Park and the EU Water Framework Directive in Catalonia and Balearic Islands for the Catalan Water Agency.
- Mariani S, Ocaña-Vicente O, López-Sendino P, Garcia M, Ricart AM, Garrabou J, Ballesteros E (2018) The zooxanthellate scleractinian coral Oulastrea crispata (Lamarck, 1816), an overlooked newcomer in the Mediterranean Sea? Mediterranean Marine Science, 19(3), 589-597. DOI: 10.12681/mms.16986
- Cebrian E, Vila M, Tomas F, López-Sendino P, Ballesteros E (2018) Biodiversity facilitates invasion success in a benthic seaweed forest. Biological Invasions 20: 2839–2848. DOI: 10.1007/s10530-018-1736-x
- Crisci C, Ledoux J-B, Mokhtar-Jamaï K, Bally M, Bensoussan N, Aurelle D, Cebrian E, Coma R, Feral J P, La Rivière M, Linares C, López-Sendino P, Marschal C, Ribes M, Teixidó N, Zuberer F, Garrabou J (2017) Regional and local environmental conditions do not shape the response to warming of a marine habitat-forming species. Scientific Reports, 7:5069 DOI: 10.1038/s41598-017-05220-4
- Erwin P, Coma R, López-Sendino P, Serrano E, Ribes M (2015) Stable symbionts across the HMA-LMA dichotomy: low seasonal and interannual variation in sponge-associated bacteria from taxonomically diverse hosts. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 91 (10) fiv115.
- Ribes M, Jiménez E, Yahel G, López‐Sendino P, Díez B, Massana R, Coma R (2012) Functional convergence of microbes associated with temperate marine sponges. Environmental microbiology 14 (5) 1224-1239.