I’m currently a senior researcher at Institute of Marine Sciences from the Spanish Research Council (CSIC) in Barcelona (Spain). Prior to this, I was a researcher at the Centre d’Oceanologie de Marseille (France), which is associated with the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS). I’m currently the coordinator of the Marine Biodiversity Conservation Group MedRecover (www.medrecover.org). I’m applying a multidisciplinary approach to the study of climate change effects in the conservation of Mediterranean marine biodiversity. In this framework I devoted most of my career in analysing the role of Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) as tools to counteract the negative effects of human activities. I have been also especially active in developing collaborative initiatives to cope with large scales and long-term scales unavoidable for the study of global change effects. As main milestones of these initiatives I’m coordinating and promoting collaborative networks of observation of current warming trend in the Mediterranean mainly supported by MPA’s managers (www.t-mednet.org) and volunteers (www.seawatchers.net). The ultimate objective of my research is to enhance science based management strategies to inform adaptation plans of coastal areas as well as the sustainable use of marine resources.
- Montero-Serra I, Garrabou J, Doak D, Hereu B, Ledoux JB, Linares C (2019) Accounting for life-history strategies and timescales in marine restoration. Conservation letters 11(1): 1-9.
- Cramer W, Guiot J, Fader M, Garrabou J, Gattuso JP, Iglesias A, Lange MF, Lionello P, Llasat MC, Paz S, Peñuelas J, Snoussi M, Toreti A, Tsimplis M, Xoplaki E (2018) Climate change and inter-connected risks to sustainable development in the Mediterranean. Nature Climate Change 8: 972-980.
- Bates AE, Helmuth B, Burrows MT, Duncan MI, Garrabou J, Guy-Haim T, Lima F, Queiros AM, Seabra R, Marsh R, Belmaker J, Bensoussan N, Dong Y, Mazaris AD, Smale D, Wahl M, Rilov G (2018) Biologists ignore ocean weather at their peril. Nature 560: 299-301.
- Garrabou J, Sala E, Linares C, Ledoux JB, Montero-Serra I, Dominici JM, Kipson S, Teixidó N, Cebrian E, Kersting DK, Harmelin JG (2017) Re-shifting the ecological baseline for the overexploited Mediterranean red coral. Scientific Reports 7:42404. DOI: 10.1038/srep42404
- Crisci C, Ledoux JB, Mokhtar-Jamaï K, Bally M, Bensoussan N, Aurelle D, Cebrian E, Coma R, Feral JP, La Rivière M, Linares C, López-Sendino P, Marschal C, Ribes M, Teixidó N, Zuberer F, Garrabou J (2017) Regional and local environmental conditions do not shape the response to warming of a marine habitat-forming species. Scientific Reports 7, Article number: 5069. DOI :10.1038/s41598-017-05220-4
- Garrabou, J, Coma, R, Bally, M, Bensoussan, N, Chevaldonné, P, Cigliano, M, Diaz, D, Harmelin, JG, Gambi, MC, Kersting DK, Lejeusne, C, Linares, C, Marschal, C, Pérez, T, Ribes, M, Romano JC, Serrano E, Teixido N, Torrents, O, Zabala, M, Zuberer, F, Cerrano, C (2009) Mass mortality in northwestern Mediterranean rocky benthic communities: effects of the 2003 heat wave. Global Change Biology 15: 1090-1103.
ResearchGate: Joaquim Garrabou
Google Schoolar: Joaquim Garrabou