Josep-Maria Gili is a Research Professor of the High Scientific Research Council. He works at the present time in the Institute of Marine Sciences of Barcelona where he created the Group of Ecology of the Marine Benthos. For 35 years he has been working in different fields from the marine ecology between which they stand out: the integrated study of coastal ecosystems, the structure and dynamics of benthic communities, zooplankton ecology, trophic ecology of marine invertebrates and biodiversity and taxonomy of Cnidarians. It has been the leader of more than 30 national and international research projects, 15 Doctoral Theses and has published 200 papers in international scientific journals besides to publish 14 books and to write more than 40 papers in outreach journals. He has centered part of his work in the formation of young students as much as Prof. of Ecology of the University of Barcelona, teaching doctorate courses, making conferences, organizing international meetings and courses for students and doctors. At the present time it develops research projects of investigation in the Mediterranean, Antarctic, South Pacific and North Atlantic. Recently he received the Sant Jordi award 2010 (National Catalonian award of Environmental Sciences). Current member of Spanish International committees such SCAR and Biodiversitas and of the Sciences Commission of the City Council of Barcelona.
- Gili, J-M., Sardá, R., Madurell, T., Rossi, S. 2014. Zoobenthos. The Mediterranean Sea: Its History and Present Challenges (S. Goffredo, Z. Dubinsky, editors). Springer Science, pp. 213-236
- Saiz, E., Sabatés, A., Gili, J-M. 2014. The Zooplankton. The Mediterranean Sea: Its History and Present Challenges (S. Goffredo, Z. Dubinsky, editors). Springer Science, pp 183-212.
- Quintanilla E, Gili J-M, López-González PJ, Tsounis G, Madurell T, Fiorillo I, Rossi S - 2013. Sexual reproductive cycle of the epibiotic soft coral Alcyonium coralloides (Pallas, 1766) (Octocorallia, Alcyonacea). Aquat Biol, 18: 113-124,
- Gori, A., Viladrich, N., Gili, J-M., Kotta, M., Cucio, C., Magni, L., L., Bramanti, Rossi, S. - 2012. Reproductive cycle and trophic ecology in deep versus shallow populations of the Mediterranean gorgonian Eunicella singularis (Cap de Creus, northwestern Mediterranean Sea). Coral Reefs, 31: 823-837,
- Rossi S, Gili J-M, Garrofé X – 2011. Net negative growth detected in a population of the temperate gorgonian Leptogorgia sermentosa: quantifying the biomass loss in a banthic soft bottom – gravel suspention feeder. Mar. Biol. 158: 1631-1643.
- Orejas, C., Gori, A., Lo Iacomo, C., Puig, P., Gili, J.M., Dale, M.R.T. - 2010. Cold-water corals in the Cap de Creus canyon (north-western Mediterranean): spatial distribution, density and antropogenic impact. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 397: 37-5